Green Tech Investment Rebounds In Latest Quarter - Smaller Deals
Greentech Media reports:
- Second quarter VC investments jumped to $1.2 billion in 85 deals compared with first quarter $836 million in 59 deals.
- Solar power was once again the leading investment segment at more than $330 million.
- One of the drivers for steady second quarter venture investment was the promise of stimulus monies offering startup investors a non-dilutive funding source.
- Early-stage and late-stage investments dominated, while mid-stage funding was harder to come by, and the average round sizes were slightly smaller.
- No giant $100 million+ solar or biofuel rounds as in 2008.
- Second quarter was more balanced investments across sectors:
Solar $333.4M+ 17 deals
Automotive and Transportation $202.5M+ 8 deals
Biofuels, Gasification, Cleaner Coal $195M+ 12 deals
Batteries, FCs, Energy Storage $181.5M 10 deals
EE, DR and Smart Grid $101.4M+ 11 deals
Lighting $47.3M 8 deals
Green IT $34M 2 deals
Wind and Geothermal $22.2M+ 4 deals
Water $16.8M+ 4 deals
Carbon Markets / Energy Monitoring $16.68M 3 deals
Green Buildings $7.5M 3 deals
Miscellaneous $14.45M 3 deals
Q2 VC Totals $1,172.8M+ 85 deals
- - -